Organization: Vice-Ministry of Housing and Urban Development of El Salvador
Category: Mitigación, adaptación y resiliencia del hábitat frente al cambio climático y los desastres
The Metropolitan Area of San Salvador (MASS) is affected by several floods that cause damage to public and private infrastructure, road isolation and even loss of human lives. Impacts are even more alarming for around 2,200 families in precarious urban settlements and 43,000 families living on river and stream shores.
To run a comprehensive intervention plan in order to provide security to flood-affected neighborhoods, through the development of a Drainage Master Plan; the execution of important urban works for risk mitigation, and to strengthen public infrastructure in the Metropolitan Area of San Salvador; and relocation of families to new homes in safe areas, if necessary.
Scope: Metropolitan, Metropolitan Area of San Salvador
- Repair of Culvert Over Chilismuyo Creek in August 2016;
- Execution of 6 Comprehensive Improvement and Risk Mitigation projects (4 of them already completed, 3 of them in the year 2016 and 1 in the year 2017; the remaining 2 AUPs are estimated to be completed by October 2018.
- To start the execution of buffer works of the macro storm sewer construction project in the metropolitan area, with an expected finish date in the month of April 2019;
- To develop a Master Plan that enables establishing and prioritizing interventions in the drainage system of the MASS, defining funding mechanisms and including legislative criteria for competences delimitation in drainage systems management;
- To reduce vulnerability and improve the living conditions of families living in flood-affected places, as according to recent studies, nearly 70% of the MASS shows a level of vulnerability to floods and/or landslides;
- Construction of a Lamination Lagoons System, which will allow temporary storage of rain water, reducing the peak flow downstream and distributing flow more evenly in time, as part of a solution to the floods problem of the MSSS;
- Construction of retention works and repair of culverts in the affected stream beds of the MASS.
Person/contact: José Roberto Góchez/ firstname.lastname@example.org